How to Ace Your Oral Health Exams at Gainesville Dentistry Co.

Five Tips for Boosting Your Dental Hygiene

October 19, 2022

Many patients experience a common scenario as their hygiene appointment approaches. They begin to wonder if they have been doing their part for the last 6 months (or 3-4 months for periodontal patients) with their oral hygiene. They often picture what the hygienist may end up saying about their gum health. "Can I fool the hygienist by becoming a diligent flosser the week before my appointment?" The answer is no...and there is also a more simple, less stressful approach to maintaining your dental health year-round. Upgrade your dental care routine with these five simple steps!

Most patients are aware of the need to brush twice daily and floss at least once daily. While this is an excellent start, it may not be enough for achieving ideal oral health. If you want to keep your mouth in the best possible condition between your routine visits, we recommend the following:

1. Switch to an electric toothbrush.

An electric toothbrush can clean your teeth more efficiently than a manual toothbrush when used correctly. Unlike traditional brushes, the proper technique does not include back and forth motions. Instead, you guide the bristles over each tooth. Then, the tiny vibrations take over. Most models come with a 2-minute timer, so you always brush for the recommended time. In addition, many models feature pressure indicators to make sure you are not brushing your teeth or gums too aggressively.

2. Be sure to floss properly.

Since a toothbrush only reaches about 60 percent of tooth surfaces, removing excess plaque and debris is essential. Flossing every day can eliminate the remaining 40 percent, but only if it is done with the proper technique. You must form a c-shape with the thread and pull it beneath the gum line. Be careful not to floss too hard or you can cause damage to your gum tissue.

3. Swish and rinse after you floss.

It’s recommended to floss before brushing. Doing so will allow you to loosen debris and remove it with your toothbrush. But if you choose to floss afterward, be sure to rinse your mouth. The water will flush away plaque, bacteria, and leftover food particles.

4. Keep an extra toothbrush and/or floss on hand and at work.

We have all gotten food stuck between our teeth. Maybe your tooth surfaces feel fuzzy after a meal. Even more, it’s always good to keep your mouth clean and fresh. For that reason, Our Gainesville Dentistry Co. dentist encourages patients to keep an extra toothbrush around and store it in a secure and sterile container. Keeping a container of floss around is never a bad idea as well!

5. Scrape or brush your tongue

Your tongue is a haven for mouth bacteria to thrive. Plaque buildup and bacteria on the tongue can lead to foul breath and tooth decay. That is why cleaning every part of your mouth is so important. For extra insurance, add fluoride mouthwash to your daily oral hygiene routine.

Finally, if you are not already a patient with Gainesville Dentistry Co., please consider scheduling a visit with us! We provide high-quality comprehensive dental care in a comfortable, judgment-free environment. Visit our website to learn more about our experienced team or give us a call at (352) 88-SMILE. You can also schedule an appointment online using our convenient booking option:

We look forward to hearing from you!

About The Author

Dr. Greg Feldman has completed over 1500 hours of continuing education following his graduation from the University of Florida College of Dentistry. To put this into perspective, dentists are only required to take 30 hours of continuing education every two years. This means that Dr. Feldman has already taken 100 years of dental education in his relatively young career. He is an avid learner and a lifelong student of dentistry. As a Master of the Academy of General Dentistry and a Fellow of the International Congress of Oral Implantologists, Dr. Feldman has achieved a level of recognition in the field of dentistry that few have ever reached. With this in mind, you can rest assured that anything he writes about on this blog is well researched and backed by scientific evidence and his extensive training.

More from our blog

Ready to Schedule a visit?